Monday, August 24, 2009

Strawberry-Lime Jam

Whenever strawberries go on sale really cheap (50 cents a pound), I buy a bunch!!!  I often remove stems on a bunch of them, put them in small baggies, and freeze them for smoothies. With the rest, I normally make jam. When my older sister suggested I add lime juice to mine, like she did on hers, my mouth started watering. Delish!

Wash, stem, and mash all of your strawberries. I use one of those hand held mixer things to mash them. Here is a general recipe and you can adjust it to however much strawberries that you have.

5 C mashed strawberries
the juice and zest of 2 limes
8 Tbsp maxigel
2 C sugar - or whatever sweetener you'd like. If the strawberries are really sweet, use less sweetener

Mix all ingredients together in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Spoon hot jam mixture into hot jars and process in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I tried to Google maxigel and only come up with chemicals for electrophoresis. Is this really what you use? Or is this a brand of pectin?

Holly said...

Hmmm....my sister ordered it in HUGE bulk and we split it. Karli, can you help us out? I know it's supposed to be like Ultragel....but it was called maxigel and I don't know if there is a difference or not. Karli?

Karli said...

It's supposed to be like Instant ClearGel. From what I understand it's just a thickener and reduces the amount of sugar/sweetener needed.

Ultra MaxiGel is also "Branded" under "Ultra Sperse" (or vice versa).

I found this site useful for understanding the different types and applications of MFS (Modified Food Starches).
http://sharonanne.com/mfs_chart.htm

Taken from that site:
"Ultra Sperse® (BRANDED under many names, i.e.: Ultra Gel®, Ultra Maxigel® , Ultra Set® , Kwik Thik® , etc.) are all pre-gelantinated, modified food starches derived from waxy maize. Each have good heat and acid tolerance and well suited for applications containing acid or those that require cooking, baking and freezing."

Heidi said...

Thanks for all the information!
-h